Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 2 - First day of school

Today was the first day of school! The fact that I was wearing the same clothes as the previous 24-hour wake period did not matter so much. I would get clothes later.
I arrived by 8:10 AM. Others started to gather, but no one attempted to engage me, and if they did I was not able to respond very well.
The test was in 3 parts - listen to a story and answer questions based on it; read a story and answer questions based on that; and speak with the professor (Miguel). I'm glad to say, I thought that I understood a very little bit, but I'm really happy to say that I was put in the "beginner" group of learners. The group had already started at 8:45; now it was 10:30. Not a problem, and it was somewhat familiar.
After lunch, we in the intensive program get to converse with the teacher's assistance. It was fun to tell others about myself and to ask them questions. The students are full of life. Most appear to be in their 20s.
Classes end at 2:30 and some days excursions are planned. I went on the walking tour of Nice. We walked and walked and walked. Please be mindful that I am wearing my new house shoes (a little better than slippers, but NOT meant for long walks) because my regular shoes are in my lost luggage. Most of the time I am surprised that my feet did not hurt. Then again, it has been quite a while since I have put in so much time walking. We would through the streets of the old city, passing shops, the open market, and a dominican convent (I may have to go back there another time), and up the hill to the site of an old chateau (no remains of the house) where the view of the bay and city is breathtaking. It was very peaceful there.
When we came down the hill, I parted ways with the rest of the group because I needed to buy a few items to make the next day more pleasant for me and for others. Shopping was good in that there were many sales on. Shopping was a challenge because I am unfamiliar with the European sizing of items. Despite that, I came home with a new blouse, socks, and underwear.
I walked in the door of the apartment at 7:45 pm - a very long day. It was good to eat. My feet are now one size larger than they were this morning. But (YEAH!) my luggage was delivered around 5:00 pm, so now I can choose which clothes to wear tomorrow. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment