Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 3 - Late start to the day

Last evening, I asked Michele, my hostess, to have breakfast ready at 7:45.
At 7:48 she calls me - my alarm had not gone off and I really needed to wash my hair and shower. Gratefully I had laid out my clothes for the day. I moved very quickly through the drops - it's still frustrating to adjust the water temp - every bath/shower is different, you know. Barely dried off, I jumped into my clothes - it is now 8:03. I sat at the table and drank my juice and tea; then buttered my toast and added marmalade deciding it could go with me as could the pastry (the chocolate filled ones - some of you may know them!). I went back to dry my hair with the petite dryer that Mary Agnes had lent me. It was red hot in less than 5 seconds - it looked like it was going to burn up - scary! So I would go to school with wet hair pinned back, and buy a dryer meant for the electricity that is provided. I should have packed my school bag the previous evening, too. (Lesson learned.) Hopefully I did not forget anything. Then I quickly (rapidemente) walked to school. I made it there by 8:30 which gave me time to use the restroom (I had forgotten that little routine in my rushing) and eat my toast. Uhff - I left my water bottle at home, so that meant buying a bottle from the machine - only 1 Euro.
Then off to class. Gaƫlle, our teacher, was not feeling well today - if she sneezed twice in our 3 hours, she sneezed 50 times. I felt sorry for her, but I was also feeling sorry for me being in close-quarters.
Today we studied the names for (achoo! achoo!) professions and nationalities. (Achoo!)
Since I had not time to pack a lunch nor stop for a sandwich, I needed to go out for lunch. So off I went. I dined on a KEBAB BURGER at a middle eastern diner/restaurant. It was delicious. There were lots of shops to peek into on the way back, so I stopped into a store rather like our Dollar Tree. There I found a hair dryer and a notebook and binder for class materials. Now I am really set!
In the afternoon, those of us in the intensive program met Antoine, our teacher for conversation. He carried on what we had learned in the morning class and is willing to go whatever direction we feel needed.
After classes, I went straight home to study. About 5:30 I took a break to go find something to eat. Since I've been here I've not had a warm meal - the burger was the first warm food I had had. So my goal was to find a "real meal."
I walked up Rue de Gambetta - already many shops were closed and few people were out. It's chilly enough that I am shivering even with my coat. Nothing looked like what I wanted except a pizza place, and it was not open - because it was before 6 pm. So I marched on to a bar and had my first biere/beer. It was very good. I ordered an cheese sandwich - wow, was it good, with fresh provolone. The bartender and the cook were oohing/ahhing about it. It was delicious. The people gathered there were sympathetic of my plight. The men there all tried to engage me politely - for the most part, I think. As they were closing at 7 pm, the one woman who could speak a little English approached me. Her name is Christelle, she's 47 yrs old and is a nurse. She knew English well 10 years ago. We may meet again to practice our speaking. I think I will. She made me feel comfortable.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting day, LaDonna! I hope that you stay healthy in spite of your sick teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm it's been so long since I've had real pain au chocolat (in France). I'm really enjoying reading about your trip. Although I must admit that this former French major is a bit jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Ladonna, Your trip sounds great so far! The pain au chocolate brings back great memories of my times in France and year in Belgium. Next time with your croque monsieur try a vin rouge ( a glass of red wine) or au blanc (white)! glad your valise arrived! love, MaryJo

    ReplyDelete