Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 87 mardi

26 avril 2011
            This morning, after breakfast, Elisabeth let me use her computer to do some Internet things. She also retrieved the password for the in-house Wi-Fi, but I can’t get it to work on my computer. I’m not sure what the problem is since this is a first time problem. I couldn’t find anything online that suggests a reason or a solution.
            After a few bites for lunch, I returned Elisabeth’s computer, and Guy gave me the phone so that I could call René Manternach in Berdorf. His wife answered the phone and she did not want to speak English. Before I could ask in French, she hung-up. Then I asked Guy to call. He did a lot of talking to explain my situation. I was welcome to come in the afternoon, so this became the focus of the day.
            Already I had a new Facebook friend from yesterday’s meeting of Nathalie, the friend of Georges Manternach in Beaufort. This surprised me because she was cautious of me presenting myself at her door. But I hope that we might keep in touch.
            Berdorf was just a short drive away. The Manternachs live in a house near the edge of town. I took along my computer with pictures and Fr. Albert’s family history. The door opened for me as I approached. René and Mariette were most willing to share the family history. His skin and hair coloring is very much like our family.  As we studied the two histories and compared dates with our family, there did not seem to be a close connection; possibly if we had another generation back for René’s family, but to the time of Heinrich (Henry) there was no connection to place or time. His family is from Heffingen, and has no story of people who emigrated to the States. So he may be related if we had information that went back far enough.Pictures of the Manternachs
            When I showed René the death card of Philippe Manternach, the musician, he went on a hunt. He came back with two pieces of music that he had played in band in grade school – trumpet. He made me copies of these pieces: one is a marche, the other is called Zimmen-Menager. The first piece is published by M. Hulsemann in Luxembourg. The other is a handwritten copy, but I do not know whether or not it is in Philippe’s handwriting.
He did tell me that Manternachs are interred at Ernzen, not Larochette. I will visit there tomorrow – it is very close in this valley – Larochette quickly becomes Ernzen and then shortly one is in Soup and Heffingen. I also have Manternachs to call in Bissen, near Echternach. René does not know these people. They may provide another possible link.
After visiting with the family, I drove to Echternach for some sight seeing. Following the GPS instructions, I accidently took a right across the river into Germany. It was easy to turn around and return to Luxembourg, of course. I parked near the abbey of St. Willibrord. (This man brought relics of St. Stephen, the martyr, from Rome to Germany, thus bringing together the two churches.) The city is not large, so I walked around the city center. Since it was already late in the day, nearly 5:00 p.m. when I arrived, most places were closing, but I was able to see a bit of the church museum.
The church is a pilgrimage spot. Each whitsun season they have a dansante (dancing) procession through town to honor St. Willibrord and to pray for health – originally for a cure from the plague. The church itself was destroyed during WWII, but the people have rebuilt it following the same plan and adding some chapels. In its simplicity and sincerity, it felt like a holy place to me.Echternach basilica pictures
Afterwards, I walked around the center of town trying to find an Internet hotspot and a place to eat. I saw several, but the computer was in the car. I decided to stop somewhere else on the way home for Internet, though I did have tomato-rice soup and wienerschnitzel with french fries for supper at a little corner restaurant.
On the way home, I stopped in Larochette and asked if there was a place for Internet in town. Just across the street at a little bar, they had it. So ordering a Coke, I settled in to connect with the world. It did not go as well as I had hoped. In calling Eileen, I was able to connect twice, but by her response, I think that it must have sounded strange on her end. She hung up. Instead, I left messages for people and wrote emails. I did talk to Corinne (former student of Azurlingua) on Facebook – that was nice.
Now it is late and tomorrow is another adventure. Good day, Dear Reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment