Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Days 72 - 73 lundi et mardi


11, 12 avril 2011
            This week our classes are alternating again. Monday began a little earlier because I start the week with morning class. Over the noon hour I spoke with my sister Maria who was preparing for the workday. After the Intensive Course, the hours coincided to speak with my parents and my brother Dean.
            At 4:30 I met with Vesna for tea. She wanted to go to Mass at 6 p.m., so I went with her. She lives just 5 minutes from the church – on a normal walking day. Now Vesna had foot surgery last week, so I knew it would take longer to get there. We left the house about 10 minutes before the hour. Along the way we also stopped at the pharmacy and the post office, which was just closing. I think because Vesna had crutches, they let her in, but it was unbelievable how many people were pleading to get in after the door was locked. I waited outside. By the time Vesna emerged it was 6:06. We continued to the church. The homily was in progress when we arrived. Vesna was happy to be there, and so was I.
            On this day, there was a screen set up behind the altar. Tomorrow evening a famous actor is going to speak. He was actually attending the Mass, too. Afterwards he was signing autographs. The movie for which he is famous is called “Of Men and Gods.” It is based on a true story of Franciscans friars who were martyred in Africa. I would like to see the movie. I noticed it was on sale at FNAC, but because it has a European format, it would not be viewable at home. I might try to find it once I’m home.
            After Mass, I headed home feeling quite tired. My cold continues to mount, but should start improving in another day or so. After supper, I hung out in my room until bedtime: glad to sleep.
            This morning it took a while to clear my head. The Zicam nasal spray is nearly gone: a sad realization. After doing laundry, and killing a big, brown spider, I headed to school to meet Ngozi and Nazia for lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant. It was delicious. For supper tonight, I only need a salad. As it was, on the way home the corner grocer had lovely avocados, so that seals the deal.
            In class today we learned another past tense – plus-que-parfait. Gratefully, it is not difficult to form; it’s just remembering to use it in the right place.
            That’s all for today, Dear Reader. I hope yours went well, too.

1 comment:

  1. Of Gods and Men
    Des Hommes et des Dieux
    (2010) PG-13

    Awarded Grand Prix honors at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, this compelling historical drama relates the ordeal of seven French Trappist monks in the mountains of Algeria who are taken captive by Islamic fundamentalists. Before the monks' abduction, they have ample reason to believe they may be in danger, but their assumption that there can and must be common ground between Islam and Christianity leads them to remain at the monastery.

    Genre:Foreign Dramas, French Language, France
    This movie is:Violent, Cerebral, Emotional
    Format:DVD and Blu-ray availability date unknown NETFLIX

    ReplyDelete