Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Days 68 - 69 jeudi et vendredi


7, 8 avril 2011
            When I woke up Thursday morning, I felt generally more positive about approaching the last two weeks in Nice.  I studied for a short while then walked to school in order to do some online things. There I found out that a ticket for the Met HD opera transmission of Le Comte Ory was not available – the theater was sold out. After that I purchased my plane ticket for the flight from Luxembourg City to Trondheim, Norway. I am glad to have completed this task.
            After school, I went directly home to tea with Michele. She recommended that I try getting an opera ticket at FNAC (like Best Buy). At the end of supper, Michele and I had a piece of the French lemon pie. Then I headed to the Internet shop with my computer to Skype my mother and sister Shelley.
            On Friday, Michele was hoping to run some errands right away in the morning and she was waiting for a package of plants to arrive, so she asked me if I could be around; of course, I said “yes.” Then she remembered that the bank does not open until 10 a.m. so she said I did not have to wait around. Since I had put in a load of laundry that would not be finished churning for another hour, I decided to go to the little supermarket just two blocks away for a few basic things. The plants arrived shortly after I returned, and Michele headed out to do her errands.
            While hanging up my laundry outside my bedroom window, my brown pants fell to the ground. Oh. Of course, my first thought was to go out the garden door and retrieve it. But then there is Matisse the Cat, who loves to go into “his” garden. I knew that if I opened the door, he would be out in a flash. I was not sure that I would be able to corral him back into the house afterwards. So instead, I wrote a note to Michele (in French) requesting that she bring it in when she got home. She was grateful for the consideration.
            Making a peanut butter sandwich, I left for FNAC to see if I could purchase an opera ticket. The answer was “no,” and the woman recommended that a ticket be purchased at least 15 days in advance. There will not be a next time, unfortunately and fortunately. The tickets cost 27 Euros ($38.50) and there are no student prices here. I’ll be happy to see the next shows in Dubuque, thank you.
            At school it was so “Friday.” We watched a movie in the Standard Course – “Albert est méchant,” i.e. Albert Is Mean.  It is a funny movie. If it’s available in the States, I recommend this French comedy with subtitles.
            When I got home, Michele was napping on her bed in the living room. So I proceeded to make a pot of tea. The next time I looked in, she was awake. Then she told me that the bus she was on this morning hit a man on a motorbike. She had just gotten up to get off the bus and saw the impending accident. It threw her to the ground. She did not wait around for the police because she does not like “drama.” But she thought the man had been killed, and she was just bruised. I’m concerned for her because of the trauma, but I don’t know what to do for her except pray.
            After supper I met Ngozi and Nazia (from Toronto) for wine a local tapas bar. Before I met them, I stopped at the Internet store to use the computers for 15 minutes. Erika, who lives in Menton, had responded and I will see her in the early afternoon tomorrow. The evening ended before 11 p.m. for me as my throat was becoming scratchy. I may be getting the cold that has been going around school – lots of sneezing and stuffy noses. C’est la vie.
            That’s it for these two days, Dear Reader. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment