Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 10 - mardi


8 fevrier 2011
This morning, I woke up before the alarm went off, so I did some reading (in English). Because Michele is still asleep, I don’t want to make much noise, though very little can be heard from room to room.
After a shower, I needed to wash out by hand all the little things that I had so that there would be some hope that they would dry during the day. I am trying to keep my use of the washing machine to a minimum.  Speaking of minimums, here I am being well reminded of the abundance of things that I own – much more than any one person could use in a month, much less in a year. What I’m experiencing with Michele is a sparseness that I have not considered for a very long time. It will make me reconsider what I have at home, I’m sure of it.
After breakfast is the time for studying this week since my classes are all afternoon until 6:10 pm. More and more words are accessible. I really need to practice number recognition.
Today’s lessons were naming body parts and understanding directions. Maybe we in the class understand more French than a one year old, but maybe not. What I am noticing is that I’m catching more words now. Not phrases yet, but lots more words.
When I got home by 6:20, I made a quick supper of a packet of basmati rice and eggplant. It was quite good overall. Michele was hungry for a Galette de Roi – an almond pie. She mixed it up and baked it. What a picture! With it, I had my first French coffee – that was a lot better than I expected.
Going back to last night, we watched The Truman Show (with Jim Carrey) in French. Now I can’t say I have seen the show more than once before many years ago. What a hoot to hear it in French. Unfortunately, the cable box memory was full, so we did not get to see the last half hour or so – Truman (try saying that with a French accent, please) was just making his escape from all the cameras. We’ll have to try to catch the rest of it another night. By then, I might even understand more of the nuances of the language.
Here’s wishing you a pleasant evening, Dear Reader.  Bonne soirĂ©e!

1 comment:

  1. Micah loves the idea of trying almond pie. He says, "that sounds pretty good!"

    Keep working on your numbers! You can practice saying them at the next birthday in our house.

    :)

    bye.

    ReplyDelete