Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 8 - the first Sunday


Day 8  Dimanche, 6 fevrier 2011 (There are pictures linked to the end of this entry.)

This Sunday marks one complete week in Nice. I have found the people to be very kind and understanding. I do hope that I will learn to use and understand more words, phrases and concepts – how could one not? – this next week, but right now it seems like I might be stuck in this state of unknowing for a long time. When I had planned to come, I knew it would take about a month to feel at home with where I live as well as the language. For the most part, where I live is already comfortable. I’ve learned processes for dishes, cooking (heating things up, really), the internet, and laundry. That answers many basic questions regarding life.
Today I was off to Assumption church (Notre Dame de l’Assomption) on Jean Medecin street for Mass. It is about a half hour walk from the apartment. The church was buzzing with activity even half an hour before the start of Mass. The choir was warming up, the children (the future first communion class?) were lining up, and the chairs were filling in with cheerful people. Today the bishop was making his annual visit. (Lucky me! No matter.) I found the guide for the day with readings and song texts – also a copy of the readings in English.
The music was good. The organist was quite good. The bishop’s homily was not too long. There was plenty of incense. I was able to sing along a bit. The woman next to me was singing, too. The whole mass took about 1½  hours. The only slightly uncomfortable moment was when I had to refuse to shake people’s hands at the sign of peace – they understood when I pointed to my nose and shook my head. Afterwards, I used my best French to introduce myself to the woman next to me.
Her name is Vesna, and she is a medical doctor who works at a hospital outside of Nice. She spoke a little English and inquired about my health. She apologized that she could not write a prescription, but she found a few samples of pills in her purse. I don’t think I will take them unless I have a fever, however, or if the sinuses would not clear up. I think I’m doing much better today anyhow.
Vesna and I walked together to her house. We exchanged emails and she gave me her phone number. We definitely hope to see each other again next week at Mass. This was a very nice encounter for the first day at a church.
After we parted, I walked the rest of the way home. It was a beautiful day for anything outside. Once home, Michele had done a load of laundry for me. Now I had to hang it out on the line. There is a laundromat not too far down the street if I need things to dry faster, but this is fine for now. I put in one more load – 4 to 5 kilos max – the machine is very tiny – and washed out two blouses by hand in the bathroom sink.
About 2:20 I headed out to meet M.D. (from New York) for an outing. We met at the McDonald’s (the only one I’ve seen, but you should see the menu) on the Promenade, near all the BIG hotels, at 3:00. Many people were out with their kids and dogs today. It was pleasant as long as one was not in a hurry. Since she did not have to meet anyone else today, we took our time.
I expressed my hope to get an ice cream treat somewhere today. Yesterday Michele had pointed out the best ice cream place near St. Repartate church. We headed in that direction. That particular shop will not be open until next week. The stand on the corner was quite busy, though. I had 2 scoops – tirimasu and vanilla – in a cup. She had the tiniest cup of coffee. We had a great time chatting about things to see in Nice and the surrounding area. M.D. likes the opera and art. I think I may have found a companion for these things in Nice. She has a friend who is a musician who may be able to connect me to a place to practice. She herself is a professor of English.
We walked to the Museum of Modern Art (Musée d’Art moderne et d’Art contemporain). The museums are free, except for the Chagall museum, so we went in. There were many, many art installations. For those interested in a little research, these 3 artists were featured: Assan Smati, Vincent Ganivet, and Sarah Sze. I only took pictures of a few things because a picture does NOT say a thousand words when it comes to these. I will include a few in my photo album for you.
The coolest thing at the museum was that the roof was a work of art, too, and a garden, and the view from there was amazing. There are a few pictures from there in the album.
As we came out, M.D. and I both decided that our feet had had it for the day. She knows the tram and bus system pretty well having lived in Nice already for 9 months, so we took that way back home. She lives a few short blocks beyond my stop, so I hopped off, so very happy that I had less than 200 steps to my door.
That’s where today ends, Dear Reader. It’s time to make a little something for supper and maybe study for a bit. And I’ll just add this – because I’ll be sleeping when the big game is played – Go, Packers!

No comments:

Post a Comment