Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 4 - a regular day


This morning I woke up with a dry and heavy cough. I may have a cold, I think. It’s hard to be sure with all the smoking and cats that are part of my days here. But it seems more like a cold. Otherwise, today went well. I got up in plenty of time to shower and eat leisurely, and I had plenty of time to get to school.
Our teacher was too sick to come in today, so Miguel, the acting director of the school, filled in. For lunch I made my way to a boulangerie where they had salads. I really needed this since I’ve not had any vegetables or fruit since I’ve come – only orange juice. While waiting, in came 3 students from Azurlingua. So we walked back to school together.
Of this group, Erika is most interesting. She is an Hungarian who calls Hamburg (Germany) home, but she has moved to Nice with her boyfriend, who works in the shipyards as an engineer. She, if I understand correctly, is a child psychiatrist.
Another woman at the school (“M.D.” is what she calls herself)is from New York. She and her husband have moved to Nice to live. She is only in the morning school. They live not far from where I live, so we hope to hook up for lunch from time to time, too.
In the afternoon, for part of the time Antoine worked with us on numbers and being able to write them down as we listen. (French numbering is kooky, by the way.) He occasionally resorts to English, but he usually gets his point across in French. It’s only the third day of class, but it is getting easier to distinguish words and ideas.
Yesterday I had signed up to go to the art museum after class, but I missed the departure time altogether. Nonetheless, it was for the best, as I was tired and should take care of my cold. I was glad to get home and rest.
Michele was out when I arrived home. I think the cats were ready to defend their space if I had moved into the living room, but I was happy to go to my room. I heard Michele come in about 4 pm, so I got up. Then the doorbell rang – friends were visiting – so I stayed put and studied for tomorrow. Only to find out that Michele was disappointed that she did not know that I was home. She wanted to introduce me. Next time I will not be so shy.
Because of my cold, soup sounded good, so Michele gave me directions to a nearby grocery store. It is less than 3 blocks away and packs many good things, though I suspect it is a little expensive. I found the soups – all were packed in cardboard boxes (like chicken stock would be). But chicken soup or something that was no pureed was not on the shelf. I chose carrot/potato/cauliflower soup was very good, and there’s more for other evenings ahead, also I picked up 2 potatoes for future suppers and some yogurt for my lunches. I will have to visit here again so that I can pack my lunches occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment