Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 29 - dimanche


27 fevrier 2011
It rained on and off again last night. I took my umbrella with me when I walked to the 10:30 messe at Notre Dame. I was hoping that Vesna might be there, but not so. The Italian woman in the front row was kind enough to speak with me again. I could understand about half of what she was saying this time, and I could communicate a little bit, too.
When I got home, I read through the thoughts for the day on the liturgy bulletin. There was a prayer on the back that we read together after communion. The pastor suggested that we say it everyday. I will share my translation of it with you here in both French and English:
Seigneur, quand je suis affamé, donne-moi quelqu’un qui ait besoin de nourriture.
Quand j’ai soif, envoie-moi quelqu’un qui ait besoin d’eau.
Quand j’ai froid, envoie-moi quelau-un à réchauffer.
Quand je suis blessé, donne-moi quelqu’un à consoler.
Quand ma croix devient lourde, doone moi la croix d’un autre à partager.
Quand je suis pauvre, conduis-moi à quelqu’un dans le besoin.
Quand je n’ai pas de temps, donne-moi quelqu’un que je puisse aider un instant.
Quand je suis humilié, donne-moi quelqu’un dont j’aurai à faire l’éloge.
Quand je suis découragé, envoie-moi quelqu’un à encourager.
Quand j’ai besoin do la compréhension des autres, donne-moi quelqu’un qui ait besoin de la mienne.
Quand j’ai besoin qu’on prenne soin de moi, envoi-moi quelqu’un don’t j’aurai à prendre soin.
Quand je ne pense qu’à moi, tourne mes pensées vers autrui.

Lord, when I am hungry, give me someone who needs food.
When I am thirsty, send me someone who needs water.
When I am cold, send me someone to warm up.
When I am hurt, give me someone to comfort.
When my belief becomes heavy, give me the cross of another to carry.
When I am needy, lead me to someone in need.
When I do not have time, give me someone who I can help in a moment.
When I am humbled, give me someone who has need of praise.
When I am discouraged, send me someone to encourage.
When I need others to understand me, give me someone who has need of mine.
When I need somebody to take care of me, send me someone who needs to be taken care of.
When I think only of myself, turn my thoughts toward others.

Do you think this prayer sounds a bit Ignatian?
The sun never really came out today, but it was sometimes brighter and darker throughout the day. I wasn’t really looking to go out again unless I could find something to do at an indoor spot. No such luck. It’s just as well. I needed to study since yesterday’s efforts felt scattered.
Yesterday online, I found a French audio novel for beginners, all in the present tense. I downloaded the script and audio file for each chapter. Today I listened to Chapter 1 twice without the script seeing how much I could determine, then once with the script. The story is not exciting, but the level is just right, so I will work my way through the next 15 chapters bit by bit.
More often I am trying to “think” French by creating sentences that describe what I’m planning to do or where I am. This is getting easier. Before I leave, I hope the process of moving from a “constructed” thought to speaking will come more quickly.
I have another dialogue to memorize for class tomorrow, but since I won’t be in that group, I won’t feel too disappointed if I don’t get it down perfectly. Then I spent time writing about the weekend, because I need to practice speaking in the past tense. Michele looked it over and made corrections as we shared a cup of tea.
Afterwards, because I had been sitting inside most of the day, I went for a neighborhood walk. I found the Russian palace just above us on the hill. It is now a high school. I took quite a few pictures so that you can see it, too.
Enjoy the rest of the day, Dear Reader, and have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment