Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 14 - samedi


12 fevrier 2011
It was another beautiful day for being outside. Since I had to get groceries, this made a great excuse to walk about. My first stop was the Marché des Fleurs for some fresh fruits and vegetables. Along the way, I needed to stop at an ATM because the market seems to be a cash-only place. Today I timed it; it takes nearly an hour on foot.
There were lots of people at the market when I arrived, but I found some carrots, lettuce, green pepper, tomatoes, onion, strawberries and apples to enliven the week’s meals.
My next stop was Carrefour (this means “crossroad”) After asking directions a number of several times (we’ve been working on understanding and giving directions at school all week), I finally understood why Michele inquired as to why I wanted to go there. Students and teachers at Azurlingua have mentioned it, so I thought it must be THE place to go.
When I finally found it, I was hungry. Today I tried the French version of McDonald’s. Since I still wanted to try something French, I ordered the meal of hamburger with bleu cheese, fries and a coke.  The young woman who took my order immediately switched to English when I stumbled through her questions for my order. After explaining that I was learning French, she obliged me by continuing in French. We did OK together! I must say, the Coke at McDonald’s tastes like it is “supposed to taste.” For that I was most grateful, especially since I was parched after the long walk. The burger was very “bleu.” A nice treat for taste, but the quality of the hamburger did not call for another visit later. (Sorry, Mickey D.)
Carrefour is a big store, mostly groceries, but it also has other items – clothes, toys, etc., like a large Hy-Vee. I found some small cuts of meat - pork chops and hamburger. I looked for the peanut butter, but was not successful finding it. (My feet were not willing to go much further.) By the time I had made my way through the store, I was considering the weight of my goods and the long way back home. Michele had asked that I get some laundry soap; this added quite a bit of weight, but I was planning to do 2 loads when I got back.
Gratefully, the tram stop was just three blocks away. It was very crowded, but it would bring me within about six blocks from home without having to transfer – just what I needed!
It was about 2:45 when I walked in the door. A nap would have been good right then, but I really needed to review my vocabulary and practice my “scene” for class on Monday.  Michele helped me get the laundry going. She has an apartment-size wash machine, but not a dryer, so I am able to hang things on the line outside my bedroom window. It won’t dry overnight, but after church and a stop at school tomorrow, I will finish drying things at the laundromat down the street, if needed.
Those are the adventures of the day, Dear Reader. Have a good one yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment