Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 5 - around the neighborhood


The cold is progressing nicely – I think I had a fever last night, but I was fine during the day. There is a pharmacie around the corner if I need anything more than what I brought – cough syrup is the only thing I might look for there. For now, comme si come ça (?)
Michele was going to Italy with friends today – it is just a short drive past Monaco. She said that the farmers of this French region are being driven out for the sake of developments. That is why the vegetables are expensive and not so good here, because they are imported. Italy is still has lots of local farmers and markets to buy the freshest foods.
School was a rather ordinary day. The morning classes again were rather slow in the second half, but the afternoon intensive course is more engaging because there are only two of us in the class. I stayed for a bit afterwards to look at Facebook and Skype – Matt, I hope you were able to figure out the problem.
On my way home, a woman tried to get money out of me by feigning to have found a gold wedding band. She wanted to sell it to me so that she could buy food. There are lots of panhandlers here since the climate is moderate.
Nice is a very Italianate city. There is much pizza and pasta to be had. Though this weekend, maybe I can convince Michele to go out with me for a real meal, i.e. with hot meat.  (Can’t believe I said that. Anyway…) After getting home, I went around the block to take pictures of the neighborhood. It is a mix of old and new, but generally it is a very nice area. Apartment living is not my thing, but because my building is well-constructed, I’m guessing 1920s or earlier, there are few sounds from the neighbors next door and none from above. I’ve included pictures of the inside of the apartment for you, dear readers.
Across the street from my house is the Russian Orthodox church built by Nicholas II. It seems that Nice was a summer home-away-from-home. Besides their home, there is a mausoleum of his 21-yr-old son and the church. (See pictures.)
That’s really all I have to share today. I love hearing from you all no matter the format. In Nice, the double cheek [air] kiss is used for those who are dear – (smack, smack). Love ya!

2 comments:

  1. LaDonna! I just read all of your posts at once -- what a journey, and 'tis only just begun! -- and I really enjoy the amount of detail; it makes the imagination soar! Keep the pictures coming... bonne chance avec vos etudes de langue! (did I say that correctly?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour or is it Bon Noir... quelle heure est t'il chez vous our chez toi mon amie? J'suppose qu'il est neuf heures different que chez moi en Portland, Oregon? The next time you stop by a cafe for something to eat,, ask for the poulet roti et pommes frites... roasted chicken and french fries and then ask for the haricot verte... petite green beans! They are all great there! love, MaryJo

    ReplyDelete