Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 13 - vendredi


11 fevrier 2011
The expectations continue to ratchet up at school – next week we will be doing much more reading and repetition in order to be able to speak with more ease. For Monday, we are assigned in pairs to memorize a short exchange. (I dislike memorizing – my brain does not do it as easily as it used to.) I am working with Kate Wong from Hong Kong. Our situation is set at a travel agency. Each day I feel so much smarter.
Tomorrow I plan to go to the open-air market – Marche des Fleurs – in the old city – for fresh fruits and vegetables. It is about a 40-minute walk from the house. I may be going with another student from Azurlingua. Also, I plan to go to a larger supermarket to pick up some things to make quick meals in the evenings. I’ll see what I can find for meat.
For the last two weeks, I’ve become an unwilling vegetarian. As much as I love bread and cheese, I’ve been mindful to eat fruits or vegetables at each meal, too. It is easy to find a salad-to-go at the little shops around school. My evening meals have all been vegetarian, and quite good, I might add. But I do like meat, and I think it is necessary in small portions. As at home, meat is expensive, but it seems especially so when looking for just a small portion - there isn't a lot of storage space.
Last week I went looking for peanut butter for lunch sandwiches. Nutella (a popular European chocolate hazelnut spread) is readily available. The little store around the corner had the smallest jar of smooth Skippy peanut butter for nearly 5 Euros – that’s about $6.75. I did not pick it up then, but I might get it this week – it would help in making a quick lunch - the jury is still out.
Another thing not available at the local store is crackers as we know them in the US. There are crackers that look like dried toast, but I could make that at home. These are certainly not a necessity, but their absence here surprised me.
Michele would really like to taste an American-style cherry pie. She brought home sweet cherries today. Does anyone have a recipe for a pie made with sweet cherries? If you do, please send it my way. I know it would not have the tartness of the sour cherries, but it might be fine, too. This fancy baking will probably not occur for at least two more weeks. Michele is going on a crash diet – protein only for two weeks– like the South Beach diet, I suppose. So, you have time to look up those cherry pie recipes.
I hope that you all have had a good week, Dear Reader. Love and prayers for each of you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi LaD! SOunds like you are doing fairly well over there! And the city looks beautiful! A question - is this a B and B or just this lady's apartment who is hosting you? It looks very cute and so typically European...it's tough to get used to the smaller quarters, though, I know...re the meat issue...hopefully you found some pre-packaged portions in the meat section of the big supermarket, If not, go to the open market and ask for one or two filets or chops or whatever...that is common to just get a little at a time at the butcher's, etc...only trouble is you have to go nearly daily! Anyway, that's my advice, but you have probably already solved the question. Hope you are well and I'll be keeping up with you! Lot of love, XXXOOO Mari

    ReplyDelete