Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 20 - vendredi

Carnaval pictures
18 fevrier 2011
It was the first sunny day since last Sunday. It feels very nice.
Afternoon school today, so I took the morning to study. Since we were going to work on restaurant skits, I started a French-style menu. Once at school to meet Marina, we completed the menu with three “plats du jour”.  It gave us a chance to practice.
After class, Mariette, our intensive course teacher, led a group of 12 of us by tram to the old city. There we ate at a little restaurant that was situated on the two corners of the street – one side was for the food, the other for indoor seating and drinks. This was my first taste of “socca”, a local dish made from eggs and chickpeas. It is like a thin, fried pancake – not unlike a salty crepe. It was very good and filling. After Mariette treated us to a nicoise pastry treat, and we had finished our drinks of choice (mine was a Coke, but many people had sangria), we walked back toward Place Massena where the Carnaval event was to take place.
We were able to find enough seats for the group near the top of the stands, just in front of the speakers. I estimate about 10,000 people were there tonight.  The theme of the Carnaval this year could be “Under the Sea.” The story played out by the balloon characters seemed to be that Nepture was asking the fish and sea creatures, including a mermaid, to retrieve a pearl from a clam, which the clam was happy to give. The tension mounted a bit when two sea serpents came head to head. All in all, the balloons were magical and the floats were colorful, but it was over way too soon. I’ve included some pictures and a video for your viewing pleasure.
Afterwards, I walked with Elisabeth (Austrian, from my class) to the train station, and then completed my walk home, another 15 minutes or so. I got home right at 10:00. Michele and I chatted briefly, but I was looking forward to a little alone time after the long day at school and the crowds.
Happy Carnaval, Dear Reader. How will you celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment