Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 31 - mardi


1 mars 2011
The fifth week of school is well underway. Because of the new level, I am again just keeping my nose above water as the information washes over me. While I’m trying to take notes, Mariette continues to pour out the explanation. By the time I get everything copied, she’s asking the class questions and I need to switch back to French. But this is OK, since I know it will get better in about two weeks more.
It was another overcast day in Nice. However, it didn’t do much more than drizzle about mid-afternoon – just when I was heading out to run some errands. Today, at the office store, I was able to print a few pages that need to be sent off to the States and to buy some envelopes. After dropping off my book bag at home, I headed down Gambetta to the supermarket near the Promenade. This was a good-size store as most go around here and had a variety of items for a fair price.
I even found Skippy Peanut Butter – both creamy and chunky – for a reasonable price, under 4 Euros – so I bought some.  I invited Michele to try it when I open it. She made a face, not looking terribly eager to taste it, and said, “That’s very American.” I have noticed that there is little in the stores with peanuts or the peanut butter taste. Last week I purchased some cereal bars with that were identified as chocolate/peanut butter. When I tasted it, I was disappointed because the peanut butter flavor was so faint. Each culture has identified what is healthy and efficient food. Peanut butter is SO American.
When I returned home, it was nice to have tea with Michele. Then I made vegetable soup. It is quite good. I have enough for two more nights, I think.
The other purchase that made me very happy was a bottle of milk. I was looking for anything that did not say dèmi-crème, which is what I have on my cereal each morning. It is quite good, but I didn’t think I needed to drink “half and half” for my other meals. Well, I bought whole milk and I don’t care too much for its taste ; it is “stronger” than what I’m used to. It is certainly tolerable, but I won’t be purchasing another liter of milk.
These were the greatest adventures of the day. I’m fortunate that they are so mundane. Good night, Dear Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment