Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 41 - vendredi


11 mars 2011
            Class was in the morning, so I left the house about 8:30. At school, it was quiet in the courtyard.  A number of people depart today but only two that are in my classes. At lunchtime, I enjoyed peanut butter on a wheat baguette. Michele had the opportunity to taste this delicacy, but she flatly refused. This makes me smile, as peanuts are one of my favorite foods: an obvious sign of my American heritage.
            At lunchtime, I surfed the net for information regarding the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. The images are unbelievable. I had a chance to speak with Chisa who is from Japan. Gratefully her family in Tokyo is fine.
            After class I took home my computer bag, then headed to the Orange.fr store to buy a cell phone, un mobil. Because I have several trips planned in the next month and then will be on the road to other places, it seemed like the right time to get one. There was a good sale going on for the simplest phone. It is all in French, of course, so it will take me a little while to get used to the nomenclature. If anyone needs a phone the next time you travel in this direction, the phone is yours to use. You only need to buy credits to be able to use it.
Friday’s are always nice, aren’t they? There is so much to look forward to, so much potential for the weekend. At 5:00, I attended a poetry reading by a friend of Michele’s at the grande bibliothèque downtown. Sophie read poetry based on short nature films made by her husband – he is also a painter. I am still only catching words, no, phrases, here and there – but by the time I “understand” (i.e. translate) what I’ve heard, the topic has moved forward and it takes a bit to readjust and “listen” again. Michele is lending me several of Sophie’s books that I will attempt to read. There might be a song possible for one of my composer friends.
Rosa and I will be leaving for Genoa, Italy early in the morning tomorrow, Saturday, and returning Sunday evening. (If there is a break in my “transmission”, this is why.) Rainy and cold is the weather forecast for our destination so warm clothes will be needed.
This evening I realized that the outer sole of my favorite pair of shoes is breaking loose again. I had them repaired before I left, but possibly because of all the rainy days that I’ve worn them here, they are coming apart again. Michele recommends that I look for a new pair in Italy – everything is cheaper there. Rosa said the same thing. I do have my white athletic shoes, which don’t have the same enduring comfort. If I wear them, though, everyone will know that I’m a foreigner for sure.
Well, that’s all the news for now, Dear Reader.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment