Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 32 - mercredi


2 mars 2011
It was a long day, again. Before I left the house at 10:30, I hard-boiled some eggs for tomorrow’s lunch.
Then I walked to the “Post” to mail two envelopes and a postcard. As I was looking for the envelopes in my bag, a nice man came over and asked if this was all that I had to mail: “oui.” He led me over to a machine and proceeded to show me how to weigh the envelope, choose the destination and got me to the point of payment – then he left. Of course, I’m looking at a screen all in French. I attempted to use my credit card to pay, but it was refused. Maybe I had it in the wrong way, so I turned it around. The meaning of the message I on the screen was, literally, completely foreign to me. The machine would take coins, if I had enough. Miracle of miracles, I DID. After plugging in nearly the exact amount needed, the two printed stamps came down the chute, as well as my change. Whew! Then I found the slot that would take mail outside of France: étranger. It was a great accomplishment, but I was definitely the stranger.
School was it’s own challenge today. Even though I’m less experienced than the rest of my class, I think I’m at about the same level. Each comes with gifts and challenges of his or her own. Despite my personal weaknesses, I’m willing to hang in with this group for the next week. Then I will decide whether or not to return to the first group. Right now, I feel as though my eyes are being pulled out of my head. It makes me tired. At least I will sleep well. Tomorrow is another day to go forth with humility and a smile.
After school, Rosa invited me to share a pot of tea with her and her friend who has been living in Nice for five years. This friend from Brazil teaches Portuguese and English here. She speaks beautiful French; she apologized that she teaches written English, but cannot speak it. This meant that we spent the hour conversing (even though haltingly) in French. Rosa’s friend (I will have to share her name with you another day) was so good about correcting our French and explaining the rules so that we would understand. I hope that we can meet each other again soon.
I arrived home about 7:30.
I am waiting to hear whether or not my mom will be able to go ahead with her scheduled surgery tomorrow. She came down with an infection that is being treated, but it could postpone the surgery. I am grateful for everyone’s thoughts and prayers for her at this time. This is when it is especially good that the family is large and loving.
Good night, Dear Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment