Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 50 - dimanche


20 mars 2011 - Beautiful day in Nice
Everyone here seems very aware that tomorrow is the first day of spring. Today was the most beautiful day I’ve seen here. There were lots of people out walking this afternoon.
Just to relate a few of the miles I made because it was so nice, I met Rose and we walked to church. Afterwards, I walked with her towards the Promenade (along the bay). When we reached the Place Massena, I was surprised to see that the Gallerie Lafayette was open today with a sale. Since I had to look for something at this store for Jim M., I went in. The store is much like a Younkers or Macys. Then I discovered that I did not have the details to purchase Jim’s item, so after waiting 20 minutes with my little items in the checkout line without moving anywhere, I decided to come back later with all the info that I needed.
I arrived home a little after 1:00 p.m., so I made a substantial lunch, and headed out again about 2:30. Back to Gallerie Lafayette, via the tram this time. I found what I had selected earlier and purchased all that Jim requested. I walked back towards home, and decided to call Vesna – the doctor from Croatia that I had met the first week that I attended Notre Dame church. She and a friend had just stepped out of the house for a walk along the promenade: would I join them? Of course!
Now I have met Veronique and Antoinette. Both are nurses who have worked with Vesna over the years. We walked down to the promenade, then west toward the old city, then to the port. By now my feet are tired. We stopped in a shop that makes chocolates and confitures (jams), and the dried fruits soaked in syrup. During the week, one can get a tour of the factory. But today, we could only visit the shop upstairs. There were samples to taste. They had jams that were flavored of rose, jasmine, and violets, alongside those with figs, citrus, and other more common fruits. From here, we headed to Grimaldi square.
Vesna wanted to go to Mass at 6 p.m. at a nearby church. I agreed to go with her while Veronique and Antoinette waited for us. Unfortunately, there was no Mass at 6 at that church. We walked back to join the other two. They had disappeared. We soon found out that they had gone to get gelato. Veronique let me taste her jasmine flavored ice cream. It was quite good. I wonder if this fad will make it to the States.
At Place Massena, Antoinette left us, and Vesna, Veronique and I walked back to Vesna’s apartment. We chatted in English and French. Vernonique had to catch the train an hour back home. I stayed another half hour longer with Vesna, then I too had to head home. It had been a delightful, but very long, afternoon. I got home about 8 p.m.
With a pot of tea and a piece of the Lemon Pie, I listened to the news of the world. Things are heating up in Libya. If you recall the map of the Mediterranean Sea, Libya is just across the “pond” from France, and I am living on the southern coast. France is assisting prominently with the attack on Libya. It is an uncomfortable situation. It does not seem that a proper amount of time has been given to negotiation. Please pray that there can be a peaceful solution soon.
The day is nearly over. Tomorrow begins week 7. Classes will be in the morning each day, and I have a new teacher for the Standard Course, so there will be much that is new. Have a great week, Dear Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment