Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 40 - jeudi


10 mars 2011
It’s hard to believe that it has been 40 days already. At the end of this week, I am halfway through my French training. It has been a true adventure. At times, this place seems quite like home; at other times, I realize that I am definitely not at home.
Because I’ll be traveling across the border to Genoa, Italy this weekend, it was necessary to do laundry this morning. Rosa was able to get train tickets for Saturday morning at 7:30. We will stay overnight on Saturday and come back Sunday evening. The weather forecast is not promising, but maybe this will keep the other tourists at home.
There were a number of people missing from our classes today. This actually makes it nicer for the rest of us because we get more individual practice. I do feel that I am getting braver about attempting to answer in class. Mariette is quite patient and encouraging. I wish everyone could speak as clearly as my teachers do; it would help me understand so much better. It’s not that they speak slowly (I’ve noticed that their rate of speaking has increased), it’s just clear and distinct.
When the Chinese and German speaking students are speaking, each has particular issues with pronunciation. I know that I do, too, of course! Sometimes I have a difficult time understanding the other students when they are speaking French, but I think it’s likely because of their “accent”. We are quite the motley crew when it comes to the French language.
After school, I bought some postcard stamps. Marie Curie was on the first set that I bought. Mother Theresa is on these.
Here comes the weekend, Dear Reader, enjoy the anticipation of an “ah” moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment